Acne lesions occur when follicles become clogged with sebum (oil production from sebaceous glands), perspiration, dead skin cells, and environmental debris. As a clogged pore traps bacteria, it becomes inflamed, infected, and filled with pus. Pimples can occur just about anywhere on the body except for palms of hands and soles of feet (where there are no sebaceous glands), but are most common on the face, chest, and back. Picking and squeezing or aggressive scrubbing only aggravates the infection and may leave scars.
Those periods in your life when hormones fluctuate often trigger acne breakouts. That means teen years (for both young men and women), menstrual cycles, pregnancy, and menopause are troublesome times for skin. However, any stress-filled time in your life – a job change, financial problems, an upcoming wedding, a divorce, or a death in the family – can bring on embarrassing breakouts, adding to your mental discomfort. Untreated, acne leaves permanent physical and emotional marks.
Having acne doesn’t mean you aren’t clean. It is a common medical condition that is best treated under the care of a dermatologist. Dr. M. Christine Lee and the team at The Skin and Laser Treatment Institute design a customized acne management plan based on the severity of your condition, your skin type, and your lifestyle.
Management begins with the right skin care products – non-comedogenic cleanser, toner, and moisturizer. Dr. Lee will provide advice on the best ones for your skin, and instruction on proper cleansing techniques.
Benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid preparations are usually the mildest medications capable of controlling breakouts. If products that are more potent are required, the doctor may progress to a prescription oral or topical retinoid, an antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, or hormone-balancing supplement.
Dr. Lee brings advanced technology such as laser resurfacing and photodynamic therapy to gentle acne care. In addition, she is skilled and experienced in micro-dermabrasion, chemical peels, and scar revision to refine the condition of your skin once the acne is under control.
You don’t have to suffer the anguish of acne or compromise the lifelong beauty of your skin. See The Skin and Laser Treatment Institute for answers to your acne breakouts.
- Walnut Creek, CA area patients ask, how do Botox injections work?
- Learn about effective acne treatment with a dermatologist in the area of Walnut Creek, CA
- What are the benefits of laser acne scar removal in Walnut Creek, CA?
- Find the best acne treatment with the professionals in Walnut Creek
- Seeking acne scar removal? Walnut Creek laser specialists offer customized, precision treatment
- Walnut Creek residents learn the benefits of laser acne scar removal
- Teens want acne treatment products that work, and can get them from Walnut Creek dermatologist Dr. Christine Lee
- Dermatologist in San Francisco offers treatment for acne
- What acne scar treatments might Walnut Creek area dermatologist recommend?
- How Bay Area patients can seek treatment for pimple scars
- Lafayette area dermatologist describes the removal of acne scars
- Which pimple treatment is most appropriate for Pleasant Hills area patients?
- Get the right acne treatment from a clinic in Walnut Creek
- Know the facts; get help at the East Bay acne clinic
- Treatment for chronic acne is available in Walnut Creek
- What are Some Common Treatments for Acne?
Back to Acne Home Page