Walnut Creek, CA dermatologist describes laser hair removal services
By Dr. Christine Lee
Many Walnut Creek, CA area patients who are tired of waxing, plucking, depilatory creams, and shaving are often interested in learning about alternative ways to address unwanted hair on the face and body. Dr. M. Christine Lee and her team of professionals at The Skin and Laser Treatment Institute are available to help individuals in achieving hairless skin on a permanent level. She describes to her patients the benefits of laser hair removal services which are available in her state-of-the-art dermatological practice.
Understanding laser hair removal
When patients think of laser hair removal, they sometimes believe that it is a single appointment that permanently wipes out unwanted hair on the body. Unfortunately, this is not exactly how the procedure works. Instead, it is a series of procedures that slowly reduces the amount of hair in the treatment area. The more sessions patients obtain the less hair that is produced in that area. This is because the laser device used for laser hair removal can only address hair follicles that are in the active growth phase of the entire hair follicle cycle. This happens at different times for different follicles, so by treating every four to six weeks for approximately six sessions, patients will be able to achieve almost full elimination of hair in the area being treated. Each treatment reduces the hair in the area until it is successfully eliminated. This is not a “one and done” treatment, and Dr. M. Christine Lee reiterates this to patients, so they can fully understand what to expect.
After each laser hair removal treatment, hair follicles release hair. These hairs will no longer reappear as the follicle itself is damaged. This means that once done, patients experience permanent hair loss in the area and will never again have to deal with shaving or waxing!
Who is a candidate for laser hair removal?
In the past, laser hair removal only worked on patients with fairer skin types and darker hair. This was because the lasers were not developed enough to understand which areas to treat unless there was an area of high contrast. Now, with continued advancements in laser technology, patients of all skin types and colors are able to have this treatment performed. We do recommend, however, that patients who have tanned skin avoid treatment until their tan fades, as the melanin levels in the tanned skin can result in unwanted burning from the laser device. This is important and is addressed during a patient’s initial consultation appointment with our team.
What to expect from laser hair removal?Here are the steps taken for patients during the process of laser hair removal
- Before treatments start, patients have an initial evaluation and consultation visit with Dr. M. Christine Lee to determine candidacy and discuss the process.
- The session begins with the application of a topical anesthetic to help make patients more comfortable during their procedure.
- A small laser-emitting device is used on the treatment area and some patients experience a slight “snapping” sensation along with a sound.
- The entire area is treated, and then patients are given aftercare instructions by their dermatologist to follow.
- Over the course of several days following their laser hair removal treatment, patients can expect to see hair coming out of the area and easily brushed away. These are the hair follicles that were effectively treated during the last session and will never come back!
- Patients book their appointments several weeks apart and over the course of time, will enjoy full and permanent hair removal in the treatment area.
How much does laser hair removal cost?
There are many variables that need to be considered in quoting a patient with a final cost for laser hair removal, so it is important that patients book their consultation appointment and discuss the cost of treatment directly with our professionals.
Call The Skin and Laser Treatment Institute Today
Learn more from Dr. M. Christine Lee and her staff about the benefits of undergoing certain procedures in her practice, including laser hair removal. Her practice, located at 370 North Wiget Lane, Ste. 125, is available to assist patients in and around the community of Walnut Creek, CA and provides today’s most amazing technology for effective treatments. The front office can be reached at (925) 500-1180 and is conveniently located for quality care.