Mohs micrographic surgery is a specialized procedure that was developed back in 1930 by Dr. Frederic Mohs and is one of the most effective ways for dermatologists to remove cancerous skin cells. It allows them to do so by maintaining healthy skin cells around the area, while removing all the cancerous skin cells that are of concern. It has an extremely high success rate and is the most frequently performed surgery for patients with a skin cancer diagnosis.
Mohs micrographic surgery performed by Dr. Christine Lee is an outpatient procedure that can be done in a relatively short period. The area is locally numbed, and the patient stays awake and coherent during the surgery. Pieces of the skin are removed until no cancerous cells are left, and the patient is then stitched up and sent home. If any reconstructive work needs to be done for cosmetic reasons, this can be completed later.
Patients should know that in order to perform Mohs micrographic surgery, a dermatologist must be thoroughly trained and a member of the American College of Mohs Surgery (also known as the ACMS). This certification, extensive training, and development of skills are required in order for the surgery to be completed. Dr. Lee of East Bay Laser and Skin Care Center has the experience and expertise to provide this service to her patients in order to treat and remove skin cancer.
After skin cancer cells have been removed, patients are strongly encouraged to continue to visit their dermatologist in order to screen for a redevelopment of the cancer. Moles and skin checks should be done annually be everyone for early detection of cancerous skin cells, which can result in higher success with treatment. Preventative measures are also encouraged, including daily sun protection.
Dr. Lee is available to help new and existing patients screen for skin cancer to ensure early diagnosis and treatment. Call East Bay Laser and Skin Care Center today to schedule an examination. Start taking proactive steps to protect yourself from skin cancer.
- Learn about treatment for skin cancer with advanced Mohs micrographic surgery in Walnut Creek, CA
- Specialists resolve concerning skin cancer symptoms in Walnut Creek
- Walnut Creek, CA specialist discusses how symptoms vary by skin cancer type
- Patients in Walnut Creek ask about treatment options after they present with skin cancer symptoms
- Walnut Creek dermatologist explains Mohs surgery as a treatment for skin cancer
- Walnut Creek area professional offers skin cancer screenings, diagnosis, and treatment
- Patients in Walnut Creek learn how to identify symptoms of skin cancer
- Exploring skin cancer treatment with your Walnut Creek dermatologist
- East Bay dermatologist offers may proven, precise ways to treat skin cancer
- Finding a Mohs surgery specialist near me in the East Bay community
- Walnut Creek area dermatologist can perform Mohs surgery on the nose and other areas of the face
- Lafayette area dermatologist describes Mohs micrographic surgery