Basal-cell carcinoma is very common on the face and neck, especially on Caucasians. It can be disfiguring. It is considered malignant because, untreated, it spreads to surrounding tissues. However, it rarely metastasizes (becomes life-threatening).
Squamous-cell carcinoma occurs because of mutated cells in the body cavity. It can affect the skin, lips, mouth, and other bodily organs. Risk of metastasis is higher than with basal-cell cancer, and this type has a high rate of recurrence.
Melanoma is pigmented tumors, usually on the skin. Melanoma can spread throughout the body via the blood and lymph vessels.
Many factors, environmental and hereditary, can increase your chances of getting skin cancer.
- Exposure to the sun.
- UV radiation from tanning beds.
- Human papilloma virus (HPV), linked to squamous-cell cancer.
- Compromised immune system from illness or medical treatment.
- Gender – melanoma is more common in women than men.
- Ethnic background. Fair-skinned races are more susceptible.
- Genetics; for example, melanoma tends to run in families.
Mohs micrographic surgery is one of those options. This microscopically controlled, or chemographic, surgery is a preferred treatment for cosmetic areas (face and neck); recurring tumors; carcinoma near existing scar tissue; and cancers that are large, have undefined borders, or are fast-growing.
Mohs surgery is available to Walnut Creek residents. Dr. M. Christine Lee at The Skin and Laser Treatment Institute has a specialized fellowship in Mohs micrographic surgery.
The success rate is high, and your cure starts with a simple consultation. Call today.
- Mohs Surgery Close to San Francisco - Who performs Mohs surgery close to the San Francisco Area?
- Skin Cancer Surgery Pleasant Hill - What skin cancer surgery provides Pleasant Hill patients with the best results?
- Skin Cancer Nose Surgery Bay Area - How can Bay Area dermatologists remove skin cancer from the nose?
- Mohs East Bay Walnut Creek - Why did I get skin cancer?
- Walnut Creek Plastic Surgery - Does skin cancer in Walnut Creek mean plastic surgery?
- Skin Cancer Surgery Walnut Creek, CA - Can a doctor in Walnut Creek, CA cure skin cancer with surgery?
Back to Skin Cancer Surgery Home Page