Types of skin cancerThere are three common forms of skin cancer.
- Basal cell carcinomas are irregular lesions on the epidermis. Often caused by regular exposure to the sun, these lesions appear as open sores, red patches, growths, shiny bumps, or scars.
- Squamous cell carcinomas may appear as open sores, scaly red patches, raised growths with a depression in the middle, or warts. These lesions may crust and bleed, but do not heal. They may become disfiguring or deadly if allowed to grow.
- Melanomas are generally caused by exposure to ultraviolet radiation from sunlight or tanning beds. As the most dangerous form of skin cancer, melanomas often appear to be moles or stem from existing moles. When caught early, melanomas are treatable. Untreated, the cancer can spread to other parts of the body.
Check for symptomsRoutine skin checks are an important part of a healthy skin care regimen. Changes can happen quickly. Catching problems early increases the chances of successful treatment. Use the ABCDE rule for skin checks. Watch for the following signs:
- Asymmetrical moles
- Borders that are uneven
- Color in shades of red, white, black, or multiple colors
- Diameter larger than a pencil eraser
- Evolving in color, size, or shape
If you notice new moles or changes to existing ones, contact Dr. Lee about treatment for skin cancer. The East Bay Laser & Skin Care Center can answer your questions about skin cancer symptoms. Call today for an appointment. (925) 500-1180
- Learn about treatment for skin cancer with advanced Mohs micrographic surgery in Walnut Creek, CA
- Specialists resolve concerning skin cancer symptoms in Walnut Creek
- Walnut Creek, CA specialist discusses how symptoms vary by skin cancer type
- Patients in Walnut Creek ask about treatment options after they present with skin cancer symptoms
- Walnut Creek dermatologist explains Mohs surgery as a treatment for skin cancer
- Walnut Creek area professional offers skin cancer screenings, diagnosis, and treatment
- Patients in Walnut Creek learn how to identify symptoms of skin cancer
- Exploring skin cancer treatment with your Walnut Creek dermatologist
- East Bay dermatologist offers may proven, precise ways to treat skin cancer
- Finding a Mohs surgery specialist near me in the East Bay community
- Walnut Creek area dermatologist can perform Mohs surgery on the nose and other areas of the face
- Lafayette area dermatologist describes Mohs micrographic surgery
Back to Skin Cancer Surgery Home Page