Walnut Creek dermatologist explains Mohs surgery as a treatment for skin cancer
By Dr. Christine Lee
Skin cancer affects more than 3.3 million Americans each year. With such a high incidence rate, Dr. Christine Lee offers screenings, diagnosis, and a range of treatment options for skin cancer. Located in Walnut Creek, The Skin and Laser Treatment Center offers Mohs micrographic surgery as a treatment for skin cancer.
What is Mohs surgery?Mohs surgery was developed in 1938 by Frederic E. Mohs, a general surgeon. It is a microscopically controlled procedure to treat skin cancer. Layers of tissue are removed and examined separately to search for cancer cells. If found, the next layer of skin tissue is removed. The process continues until the cells are clear. Mohs surgery allows the surgeon to only remove the necessary amount of tissue.
Mohs surgery is generally used to treat skin cancer on the face, hands, feet, or genitals. In these areas, tissue preservation is crucial. Mohs surgeries have a high cure rate.
The Mohs processThere are four basic steps to a Mohs surgery:
- Surgical removal
- Mapping, freezing, cutting, and staining the tissue
- Microscopic analysis
- Possible reconstruction of the area
To learn more about Mohs surgery and other skin cancer treatment options, contact Dr. Christine Lee. The staff at The Skin and Laser Treatment Institute is available to schedule your appointment at (925) 500-1180.
- Learn about treatment for skin cancer with advanced Mohs micrographic surgery in Walnut Creek, CA
- Specialists resolve concerning skin cancer symptoms in Walnut Creek
- Walnut Creek, CA specialist discusses how symptoms vary by skin cancer type
- Patients in Walnut Creek ask about treatment options after they present with skin cancer symptoms
- Walnut Creek dermatologist explains Mohs surgery as a treatment for skin cancer
- Walnut Creek area professional offers skin cancer screenings, diagnosis, and treatment
- Patients in Walnut Creek learn how to identify symptoms of skin cancer
- Exploring skin cancer treatment with your Walnut Creek dermatologist
- East Bay dermatologist offers may proven, precise ways to treat skin cancer
- Finding a Mohs surgery specialist near me in the East Bay community
- Walnut Creek area dermatologist can perform Mohs surgery on the nose and other areas of the face
- Lafayette area dermatologist describes Mohs micrographic surgery